Danny Briottet’s ElectroScope Show (05/05/2023)
On this month’s ElectroScope Show, for the first 30 minutes I’ve delved back into my crates to dig out some of those seminal tunes for an early-mid 80s Sound System Funk mix.
When I was growing up, what captivated me the most was the reggae sound system – Shaka, Entebbe, Abba Salam, Observer, Coxone… I was one of a very few white kids who ventured into this world at the time. These dances, held in odd and obscure venues, as this was outlaw music that didn’t have any place in established venues or mainsteam society – although they would sometimes manage somehow to hold Soundclashes in municipal buildings like town halls in obscure parts of London like Acton or Balham, the air thick with ganja smoke and the building shaking down to its foundations.
- Gwen Guthrie – Peanut Butter (Larry Levan Mix)
- Gunchback Boogie Band – Funn
- Evelyn King – I’m In Love
- D Train – You’re The One For Me (Special Dub Vocal Edit Mix)
- Krystol – After The Dance Is Through
- Slyck – Beat The Bush (Mixer’s Delight)
- David Essex – Rock On (Shep Pettibone Extended Remix)
- Gwen Guthrie – Ticket To Ride Dub
- Happy Mondays – Hallelujah (Ewan Pearson Remix)
- 50 Cent, Lil Kim – Magic Stick (Autograf Remix)
- Baxter Dury – Cocaine Man
- LTJ Bukem – Cosmic Interlude